[Sca-cooks] Feast Ambience

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 08:07:05 PDT 2002

On 31 Jul 2002, at 8:14, Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

> Also, lately there have been contests at events for the best table
> setup. That seems to encourage people towards spiffy period tableware,
> although I have yet to find anyone else who uses an aquamanile and has
> everyone wash their hands before the meal.
>
> Margaret

At our baronial schola this spring, I taught a class on medieval
table manners.  One of the topics I included was some hands-on
practice in handwashing.  I got the Baroness's permission in
advance*, and the feast commenced with two of my students
coming forth with ewer, basin, and towel, so that Her Excellency
could wash her hands.  It made for a nice bit of ceremony.

* Though she pretended to be miffed when I told her that she did
not rate having her wash-water tasted for poison.  (Earl/Countess
and above)

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net