[Sca-cooks] Scottish Food

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 09:02:43 PDT 2002

"Jones, Craig" wrote:

> Ps.  Someone asked me last night if I'd act as feast steward and he was
> thinking of scottish food.  I told him 'get stuffed, we don't have any
> primary sources from that period, try somewhere else...'.  Am I correct
> in that assumption or is there a source out there I don't know about...

How about that quaint Scottish restaurant, McDonald's?  <grin, duck, run>

Oh all right, serious answer.  No, we don't really have any "Period Scottish
Cookbooks" but we have some clues from historic and literary sources.  It
sounds not unlike period English food, with emphasis on the foodstuffs
charactaristic to Scotland as such, like oats, cattle and sheep products,
wild game, cold-hardy fruits, salmon and other wonderful northern fish.
Don't forget the Flori-Thingie:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION /fd-Scotland-msg.html

Selene C.