[Sca-cooks] sauce help

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 16:07:18 PDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:27:04 -0600 Karen O <kareno at lewistown.net> wrote:

>     Do try the recipe that Brighid translated
> from De Nola
>
> CAZUELA DE SALMON
[snip]
> You must take the clean and well-washed salmon,
> and put it in a casserole
> with your spices which are galingale, and a
> little pepper and ginger and
> saffron, and all of this well ground, and cast
> upon the fish with salt, and
> a little verjuice or orange juice, and let it
> go to the fire of embers, and
> then take blanched almonds and raisins and pine
> nuts and all herbs.  That is
> moraduj, which is called marjoram, and parsley,
> and mint, and when the
> casserole is nearly half-cooked, cast all this
> inside.
>
>     For every cup of orange juice {or combined
> with lemon juice & zest for
> that tart flavor}
> 1 teaspoon pepper  {I used a combo of 5
> peppers, including long pepper}
> 1 teaspoon ginger
> 1 pinch saffron
> 2 oz almonds ground well with 2 oz pine nuts
> 2 oz cup currants
> 1 tablespoon each fresh marjoram, parsley, mint
> finely diced
>
> this all melds well with a food processor
> Caointiarn

I'm glad you like the recipe -- it's one of my favorites as well.  (It's on
the menu for my next feast).  I'm curious, though... why do you grind the
nuts?  And do you grind the currants also?  My interpretation is that sauce is
a thin liquid, speckled with the chopped herbs and the nuts and raisins.  I do
use slivered almonds rather than whole.

Brighid ni Chiarain