[Sca-cooks] sauce help

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Wed Jul 31 18:28:58 PDT 2002

> >     Do try the recipe that Brighid translated from De Nola
>> >     For every cup of orange juice {or combined with lemon juice & zest
for that tart flavor}
> > 1 teaspoon pepper  {I used a combo of 5 peppers, including long pepper}
> > 1 teaspoon ginger
> > 1 pinch saffron
> > 2 oz almonds ground well with 2 oz pine nuts
> > 2 oz cup currants
> > 1 tablespoon each fresh marjoram, parsley, mint
> > finely diced
> >
> > this all melds well with a food processor
> > Caointiarn
>
> I'm glad you like the recipe -- it's one of my favorites as well.  (It's
on the menu for my next feast).  I'm curious, though... why do you grind the
nuts?  And do you grind the currants also?  My interpretation is that sauce
is a thin liquid, speckled with the chopped herbs and the nuts and raisins.
I do use slivered almonds rather than whole.<
> Brighid ni Chiarain

    Yes, everything was emulsified in the food processor.  BTW  I think I
actually used TWICE as much ** freshly grated** ginger as I stated above.
I used it first as a marinade, and then as sauce.  The almonds & pine nuts
are good thickeners.   I also froze the  sauce (using less oj) to keep til
the Feast in mid-July {I know, I know, I haven't reported about it yet}.

I'm a terrible abuser of recipes {always looking for another way to "tweak"
things}
Caointiarn