[Sca-cooks] Milk and Nut Allergy Questions...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 18:44:04 PDT 2002

I am one of those lactose intolerants.  I can eat all the hard cheese I want
with no problem.  Soft cheeses, depending on the type, are ok too.  When it
comes to cottage cheese I begin to get in trouble because of the processing.
Actually, many of the folks who are "lactose intolerant" really aren't.
Their systems simply can't process the way our American milk is processed.
Give most of them milk out of the cow or goat and there is not a problem in
the world. (smart systems!)
As for nuts, well, I have heard that some forks are allergic to just
walnuts, some peanuts.  I do not have this problem and I love nuts (human
ones too).  As you probably know, I do drag along marzipan almost everywhere
I go in case anyone is bored.  Well, I ****ALWAYS**** ask if anyone who
wants to play is allergic to nuts.  If it a child, and they are unsure of
the question, I ask if they eat nuts at home, if the answer is yes, I ask if
they have ever eaten almonds.  If they aren't sure, I ask them to fetch
their parent.  I ain't about tryin to kill people either, but my
understanding of nut allergies is sketchy.

As for what our Cooks Guild does, well, we make sure there is enough
opportunities for cool period dishes in each remove that dont' include meat,
don't include any pork products (if that is on the menu) and don't include
dairy or nuts (not necessarily in the same dish).  We also now have a Baron
who does not eat garlic, so we have added that to our "must not include"
menu.  None of this means that we don't *serve* these things, it simply
means we have adapted to naturally accomodate many life forms.  (that didn't
come out right did it?  Oh well, mark it up to Olweneez).
Olwen
Olwen