[Sca-cooks] Milk and Nut Allergy Questions...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:02:29 PDT 2002

>From: Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com>
>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:08:18 -0700 (PDT)
>
>They have started defining "lactose intolerance"
>differently in the past few years.  Those who
>can't handle milk, but can handle processed
>cheeses, ice cream, etc., are now said to have a
>"milk allergy/intolerance".
<<<<snip>>>>
>If you clearly spell out what has
>milk/cheese/butter and offer other dishes free
>from any milk product, then that should be okay.
>
>On the other hand, nut allergies are very, very
>serious and life threatening.  You have to be
>very, very careful not to serve anything that
>even touched a nut to these people.  You have to
>make sure not to use any peanut or nut oils in
>your cooking.  You have to make sure that any
>spoon or pan used to cook the item with nuts,
>isn't used to cook any item with no nuts.  Not
>even for just a second, or you can jeopardize
>that person's health.  Most people that I know of
>with nut allergies might not be allergic to all
>nuts, but they never, ever experiment to find out
>what they are allergic to and what they aren't.
>Their allergy is too life-threatening to do so.
>They just avoid all nuts altogether.  The people
>I know with nut allergies never go to public
>feasts because of the potential for
>cross-contamination.
At our 12th Night here in Atlantia, our Guild was cooking the feast.  As
usual, the "contact so and so with any allergies" was posted.  Just before
the feast was to be served, someone came to Chirhart(head cook) and said
they were allergic to nuts, what should they avoid; they did not "contact
the so and so..." before hand.  Chrihart's answer?  Don't eat the feast!
It can NEVER be so stressed that we REALLY MEAN contact us ahead of time.
For our guild anyway, it is usually a source of pride that we do not cross
contaminate certain dishes.  We have one cook assigned to preparing those
certain dishes and they are fully aware of the use and placement of every
cuttingboard and spoon or knife they use in the preparation of that dish.
Without a warning of some specific allergy that we don't normally deal with,
there is no way to monitor that any food was not cross-contaminated.  So the
best answer really is Don't Eat The Feast.
Olwen, member, Bright Hills Cooks Guild