[Sca-cooks] Feast Ambience

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 31 23:27:49 PDT 2002

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
>> At our baronial schola this spring, I taught a class on medieval
>> table manners.  One of the topics I included was some hands-on
>> practice in handwashing.  I got the Baroness's permission in
>> advance*, and the feast commenced with two of my students
>> coming forth with ewer, basin, and towel, so that Her Excellency
>> could wash her hands.  It made for a nice bit of ceremony.
>
> Oh, Brighid? Did you do a handout? Can I glom a copy? Pretty please?

While I know that Jadwiga is asking for this to try to improve what

she is already doing, she has already done substantial research
and practical work in this area. Folks, if you are at all thinking
about offering handwashing at your feasts, you ought to take a look
at Jadwiga's article:

Handwashing-art   (22K)  2/24/02    "Scented Handwaters For Feasts and
                                       Dayboards" by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Handwashing-art.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net