[Sca-cooks] Rose Tourney or where I've Been

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Jun 2 04:54:53 PDT 2002

Mistress Kiri urged that I post this after the event was over.
I have been busy for the past two weeks doing desserts for
the main tavern supper feast at the Rose Tourney... baked 24 cakes
from scratch and purchased watermelon for that part.
(My husband came home, saw the watermelons being stored in
the guest bathroom bathtub and announced "Pod People.")
Then I did this simple banquetting fare for the
Queen Alys and the The Ladies of the Order of the Rose
and the Viscountesses of the Middle Kingdom
[see below]. The one important thing that I managed to
remember was to bring the mosquito neeting, as all
the sugared dishes attracted flies... The Rose tent
was set up next to the pasture and there was fresh...
well...there was evidence of horses about 15 feet
from the dessert table. One of the nicest compliments
came from Duchess Caitlin who said 'I hadn't lost
anything...' I did her first Crown feast 30 May 1981
in Starleafgate.

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

--------------
A Jelly of Strawberries, A Summer Dishe, A Cream,
Sugar Cakes, Shortbreads, Wafers, Letter Cookies,
 Spice (Dutch Taai-Taai) Cookies,
A Great Cake, Sugarpaste and Marchepane Roses,
Candies of Lemon Peel, Orange Peel,
 Blood Orange Peel, Lemon Slices and Orange Segments,
 Blood Orange Candied and Dried, Candied Citron,
 candy of lemon, candy made of oranges,
 tamarind candy and melon candy
Apples cut into sticks, Candied and Preserved.,
 Apricot Paste cut into Diamonds and Squares,
Rose Preserves; Quince Jam; Marmalade,
Sugar Candy Crystals and Comfits,
Dried Fruits of Apricots, Cherries, Currants,
 Dates, Raisins, Figs, and Almonds,
Fresh Fruits of Strawberries, Cherries, Grapes,
 and Watermelon