[Sca-cooks] Johnnae's Confectionery Display at Rose Tourney

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 2 12:32:57 PDT 2002

Greetings, all.  Johnnae llyn Lewis  (Johnna Holloway) wrote an
explanation of what she did for yesterday's Midrealm Rose Tourney.
The display of desserts was breathtaking.  The items themselves were
carefully and beautifully arrange on individual plates, and all the
plates were set out in a pleasing pattern.  The whole thing was
covered by a white net to keep unwanted insects from sampling the
wares, but still leaving it visible to the humans.

As a a member of this list and erstwhile confectioner, I would like
to offer a very sincere and humble apology to Johnnae for the
confusion that she underwent, and the frustrations she must have
felt.  She was informed (as was I as the Queen of the Middle
Kingdom) that the desserts would be served to the Ladies of the Rose
and the Viscountesses at their noon luncheon meeting.  However, the
12:30 p.m. meeting was apparantly re-scheduled for 6 pm but neither
of us knew that ahead of time.  Now, I can show up and meet at any
hour, but desserts (some that needed refrigeration) can't.

By dinner hour, the Tourney (as with most things in the SCA) was
running way off schedule.  I agreed to postpone Court until after
dinner so that the cooks could serve the food to the populace as it
was finished on the outdoor grills (on a rustic site, no
refrigeration).  However, if my tired brain recalls correctly, we
didn't even _start_ eating until around 7:30 p.m.  Johnnae's display
sat waiting patiently.  The Rose meeting began slowly, since we were
seated in one pavilion and the populace in another.  Everyone had to
go through the "buffet line" to get food, and some of the Roses sat
there to chat with folk instead of coming back to the "Royal"
pavilion.  The meeting part didn't start until past 8 p.m.  The
dessert table sat waiting patiently.  About 8:45 pm I became worried
and concerned that Johnnae's lovingly prepared dessert table
wouldn't be eaten before she came back to pack up.  To me, there is
no greater heartbreak than to have prepared desserts that folk
didn't eat.  Finally I made Queenly noises that Court really needed
to start in 10 minutes.  Several guests went to the dessert table at
this point; a plate was made up for me.  Court began and dark fell.
By the time it was over, the dessert table had been dismantled and
things packed up.

So:  I wish that her display could have been where the populace
could have seen it.  It was one of the most beautifully crafted
dessert displays I have seen.  I wish that the populace could have
been able to "pig out" on what was left (a la royal French baroque
meals).  When we as cooks/confectioners put on a display, it is our
trusting expectation that folk will eat, enjoy and indulge
themselves.  We hope folk will be pleased and delighted with our
efforts.

Johnnae, I don't know how much of your wonders were consumed.  I
hope that you did not come away with disappointment about your
investiture of time and talents.  I shared the plate that was left
for me with one of my apprentices who kept making happy noises (even
into this morning) about the candied blood oranges.  Your display
was superb.   Thank you.  (And, did you take any pictures of it???)

Alys Katharine