[Sca-cooks] BASIL OIL

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Jun 20 10:38:52 PDT 2002

I have lots of basil coming up in my herb garden.  I would really like to
make basil oil for later consumption.
Here's my question:
 My idea is to take a canning jar, fill it 2/3 with oil and then start
putting cut basil into it the oil filled jar.  I would cut the basil with
sissors.  And I would keep adding basil until the oil jar was mostly basil; a
la pesto.

I don't normally refridgerate my oil. Will I have to now that it has basil in
it or does the basil act as a preservative?
Thanks a lot !
Phillipa