[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2063 - 6 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Jun 24 11:04:31 PDT 2002

The problem with making sekanjabin with non-nutritive sweeteners is
multiple.

Imprimis - many non-nutritive sweeteners are not heat stable, and/or have a
[varying strength] aftertaste.

to combat this, cook the vinegar and mint and let cool entirely before
sweetening.

Secundus - there is not always a 1:1 sugar:non-nutritive sweetener
correspondence.

to combat this, you have to add it a bit at a time rather than to just dump
it in.

Tertius - not all people react to sweeteners the same - saccharine tastes
wicked bitter and nasty to me, many people get headaches from aspartame, I
find sunnette [acetasulfamine k] to have a wierd vinyl/plastic taste.

to combat this, many manufacturors combine types to heterodyne the sweetness
and ameliorate many of the concentration-based funky flavors. That is why
you frequently see several forms of sweetener mentioned together on the
lables.

Quartus - Syrupness. Sugar when cooked has a thickening/texturizing quality
to it.

to combat this, you can get a product called not/Sugar from Expert Foods
that uses dietary fiber [guar gum and several others in combination] to have
the texturizing property of cooking sugar down into a syrup. It is added to
cold liquids.

Recommendations:
Use real vinegars [not petroleum distillates.] Paying a bit more for no sh!t
real wine or cider vinegars is worth it.

Use the best quality herbs - fresh or dried work, but they take different
amounts. If you use dry, make sure there isn't mold or dust on it.The same
with fresh, but you can at least wash off fresh ;-)

Try to score liquid splenda. It isn't normally found in the US, the FDA
isn't letting Synergy Diet import it any more [a labeling issue, the parent
company won't spring to relable in english vce portugese ;-(] Dry splenda is
good, but if this is for a low carb diet, there is 1 gr carb per packette of
powdered splenda, somewhat more in the measurable splenda.

Since non-nutritive sweeteners don't have the preservative qualities of
sugar or honey, I wouldn't try to keep this forever - make it ust before the
event in question, or keep it in the fridge.
margali
[thinking of making a commercial splenda-based sekanjabin, still doing
research into it, though.]

the quote starts here:
Greetings,

I remember once in a blue moon ago (I think it was
2ish years ago) there was a discussion on this list
about trying to make Sakanjabin with artificial
sweetners.  Did anyone ever get around to trying it?
I'm teaching a class on Sakanjabin this weekend and
would like to mention the attempt/results if anyone
did it.

Orlaith