[Sca-cooks] Vacation restaurants -- Ashland, OR.

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Thu Jun 27 10:36:14 PDT 2002

> We are going on vacation this weekend and will be visiting Las Vegas, NV -
> San Francisco, CA - and Ashland, OR (for the Shakespeare Festival) and
> Portland, OR and I was wondering if any of you all had any recommendations
> for great local eating spots in any of these areas?  I definitely prefer to
> eat at Non-chain places, and places that you wouldn't find just anywhere.
> You know, places with local flavor and good food.

	I grew up in Ashland, OR, but only get back there about once
a year now, so I'm not always sure what places are still in business...
	As of last year, 2 neat places that were still around were
The House of Thai Cuisine (I think that's their "real" name -- my
family just calls it the Thai place), which is quite good, and
Gepetto's, which makes these nifty deep-fried wonton-things.
Munchies is a local favorite (I personally always thought it was
OK, if not amazing) and is right on Lithia Creek.  It, and all
the businesses along the creek, have been amazingly well-restored
after the '98 flooding.  The Ashland Bakery Cafe (fondly known as
the ABC) has been pretty good the times I've been in.  And, for
pastries, Puck's Doughnuts can't be beat -- though I think *they*
may be out of business.  If they're still downtown, you'll be able
to tell by the lovely wafting aromas, though.  Everyone used to joke
that they must have a special fan for blowing the smell of baking
doughnuts out into the streets . . . :)

			-- Ruth