[Sca-cooks] Apicius and forthcoming was Byzantine Cooking

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 4 22:35:13 PDT 2002

Adamantius said:
> >I never intended that the Apicius title had
> anything to do with Byzantine...
>
> I also had not done the caffeination thing as of that time. I just
> answered the question, although I thought it a little odd at the
> time. Perhaps you weren't as clear as you thought you were, or as
> clear as Stefan thought you should be ;-)? He does tend to find the
> weak spot in any explanation, sometimes because he honestly doesn't
> understand it, and sometimes, I suspect, he just pretends not to
> understand it, in case there's a single person on the planet who
> might not get what you're saying.

Moi???

Actually I wasn't sure if Johnna was saying Apicius was a Byzantine
Roman or not. But the more I thought about it, I realized I really
didn't know for sure myself. So, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone
had the answer. Adamantius gave a wonderful answer but not the
definative one I was expecting.

In reading "Mediterranean Cuisine" by Barbara Santich this morning, I
noted that she says "It was not until the fifteenth century that the
Roman manuscripts attributed to Apicius or the even earlier
manuscripts compiled by Athenaeus around 200 AD, were rediscovered
and appreciated."

If this is true, then I wonder just how much influeance these
volumes could have had on medieval cooking.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net