[Sca-cooks] Midrealm Ruled by BOOKS!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jun 6 00:44:27 PDT 2002

At 01:48 AM 6/6/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Huette said:
>> Personally, I would think that being in a relationship
>> or marriage with such a collector would be a Good
>> Thing! tm.  This way, when you discover a need for a 4
>> pronged thing-a-magig at 2 am, you will know that you
>> can find one without having to run to a store and
>> burglarize it in desparation. :-)
>
>What makes you think Lainie CAN find this 4 pronged thing-a-magig
>at 2 am? Even if she wakes up Edward, he may not be able to find
>it with out a lot of looking.

His name is _Edouard_ and he is a packrat. (And a very cute packrat, too!)
He actually probably knows exactly where it is, but it is likely to be
three layers down, underneath 400 pounds of other Stuff.

I usually know exactly where my stuff is- I have a very visual memory, and
I also pack with a sharpie in my pocket, so I label boxes. Usually works.
Except last winter, when a Person I'd thought I could trust (who had been
storing my stuff) decided my boxes weren't good enough, bought U-haul
boxes, and re-boxed most of my stuff. I wanted to kill him. Nothing is
where I'd thought, nothing is labelled, the strata has been disturbed. When
I open a box, it's like Christmas- I never know what's inside. When I
finally have a place of my own again (PLEASE GOD! PLEASE!) it will take
forever to figure out the unpacking...

>Reminds me of the question about the books. Book storage? Well,
>there are no more empty shelves. If you have empty shelves, you
>just haven't bought enough books. I've got books in most rooms
>in the house. And stacked on the floor. And desk tops. And on
>top of dressers.

Man after my own heart. Do you stack them on the bed too? No, wait, your
wife sleeps there... My ironing and the current reading is on Edouard's
side of my bed...

>I just need a bigger house, that's it.

Yup. Winchester- the name is Winchester, right? ;-D)

>Huette and Johnna, how do you find the book you are looking for,
>especially when a good part of your collections are in boxes? And
>how do you know you have it, to even go looking for it?

Magic. And a sharpie. And the top flap sometimes reads "Theolgpy, Cammm Lw,
Hertiiis, Mystcccsm" or "MOM'S DESK-STAY OUT" or "Kid books- too heavy" or
"NatGeo VERY HEAVY"

And sometimes I find books I forgot I owned. That's cool.

'Lainie