[Sca-cooks] serious virus alert

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Fri Jun 7 06:58:42 PDT 2002

>this is quite intriguing.  I have corresponded with this individual, and his
>email info is in my address book.  I have been notified that several viruses
>have been found in messages sent to me by my Virus Alert software, but I am
>not aware of sending anything out.  How would I check?
>
>Kiri

     I suspect somebody (other than you) has been infected with KLEZ, someone who has cooks-list people in the address book.  I've gotten mail purporting to be from you and Phlip that is infected, as well as the one you're talking about that someone else received.

     As for checking your own system, I'm not familiar with Virus Alert, but is there an option somewhere for scanning your hard drive?  That's what you'd need to do to see if you're infected, as opposed to receiving infected (but not activated) mail.

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu