[Sca-cooks] KLEZ Info

micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Jun 7 09:36:55 PDT 2002

Delurking for a moment.

KLEZ info:

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-7760531-8-9771774-1.html?tag=st.sw.7760531.tx
t.7760531-8-9771774-1.html

http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/viruses/klez.xml

I sometimes do an online virus scan to make sure my Virus Scan didnt miss
anything. Can you tell I mistrust resident security software? The site is a
secure and trustworthy one. It takes a while, especially if you haven't used
it before. As well, this is a wonderful tool if your Virus scan program
isn't up to date. Remember, just because you have virus scan software, if it
isn't up to date, it is basically useless for the newer viruses (virii?)

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Here's how to fix it if you think you might have it.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.too
l.html

While the following tip isn't applicable to this TYPE of virus there is a
way you can a) tell if you have been infected by certain viruses and b)
prevent it from spreading beyond your own pc.

Viruses that use MS Address book to spread a worm can be enabled to stop it
with the first entry in your book. Create an entry that reads !000 and in
the email address place put "WormAlert". This will place it as the first
entry in your book. When the worm accesses your addresses the first one
will, of course, bounce, and send you a "bounced" email. You are
automatically alerted to the fact that there is a gremlin in your works but
it wont be able to propagate itself using this method. Pretty simple huh?

While I am certainly not an IT type and cannot confirm if this actually
works, I did it anyway as a fairly knowledgeable person told me about it .

Micaylah