[Sca-cooks] Speaking of mustard...

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jun 7 11:35:56 PDT 2002

In a message dated 6/7/2002 2:22:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:

> Go with the paln and let us know what happens.
> How about simmering water in a stackpot so that
> water comes halfway up on the side, say?

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  Except that the jar is going to have
to be the upper pot - I'll put a rack in the bottom of the pot so the glass
isn't sitting right on the bottom.

> If you could dig some out you could experiment with
> a cup or so to see how much vinegar needed to be added
> but since it's  a mass... I guess it's all or nothing
> as they say... good luck... will it reharden even with
> vinegar added are my only question at the moment and do
> you need to dish it out into smaller amounts?

It shouldn't reharden as much - the problem seems to be primarily the dry
mustard seed taking up the available liquid and swelling up.  Theoretically,
I should be able to thin it and have it stay thinner.  The original calls for
storing it thick and thinning it for use anyway; I just don't think they
meant *this* thick!

Brangwayna Morgan