[Sca-cooks] Sallets, humbles was Anyone know about this book?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Jun 8 14:39:32 PDT 2002

I poste about this book back in December and again
in January-- it bears repeating--

Regarding Sallets, Humbles, and Shrewsbery Cakes...

 I actually remember this coming out in 1976 and
 waiting to get my copy which was 12.50 in hardcover...
Back in 1976, there wasn't a whole
lot going on with the later end of the period stuff, and suddenly
we had Sallets, To the Queen's Taste, and Dining With William
Shakespeare all appear almost on top of one another. To go from
none to having three works in bookstores was... well...
pretty remarkable.
At the time, it came out originally
in 1976 it was one way to get the Dawson, Markham,
Murrell, and Good Huswife's Handmaide's recipes without
resorting to the rare book collection or the microfilms.

It was always one of the best laid out of the reproduction
cookbooks, and there was a great deal of care that went into the
actual books arts behind the original release. The Godine hardback was
limited to only 3000 copies. The paperback was of course in
print for a number of years.

 I agree it would have been nice had Beebe
annotated from which of the works the recipes chosen were drawn from,
but given the scarcity of resources at the time, we were very glad to
have it.

Cookery adaptation/redaction and the Society way to feast and adapt
has come a long way in the past quarter century.
I still think that it might be a nifty gift for someone who doesn't have
it or a prize for a contest...

Sincerely,

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway

 Anyone know anything about this