[Sca-cooks] querns

Mon Jun 10 11:59:34 PDT 2002

I think what you are asking about is more commonly referenced as a rotary
quern.  The pot quern is more an Oriental item, being a stone pot with a
grindstone attached to handle through the lid of the pot.  European
varieties tend to be larger.

The rotary quern was introduced into Europe by the Romans, where they
primarily replaced saddle quern.  Examples of the large rotary quern are
found in Pompeii and at some Roman villas in Europe (there is one which has
been restored in England).

For a picture of a small European rotary quern, try here:

http://www.durain.demon.co.uk/muscl/

Bear