[Sca-cooks] querns

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 10 22:55:06 PDT 2002

Margaret asked:
> Does anybody have any good references (hopefully ones that the U of MN has
> in its keeping) for pictures or photographs of medieval pot querns? The SO
> has had another Idea and I promised I'd ask. (Yep, he only keeps me around
> for my research skills...)

What exactly is a "pot quern"? This is a hand grinding wheel, right? Or is
more like a mortar and pestle?

I seem to remember in one of my medieval technology books, a picture
of a courtyard paved with confiscated querns. But I suspect you want
closeups and more details.

> For that matter, does anybody have any sources for soft wheat in grain
> form, i.e., not ground into flour yet (short of actually raising the
> stuff)?

And right after that, Sandra replied to Margaret with:
> >For that matter, does anybody have any sources for soft wheat in grain
> >form, i.e., not ground into flour yet (short of actually raising the stuff)?
>
>      I suspect Greenstar has it, if nobody closer to you can get it.

And who or what is "Greenstar"? And what kinds of other, possibly
interesting, things do they sell?

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net