[Sca-cooks] querns

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jun 11 01:33:07 PDT 2002

At 11:15 AM 6/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anybody have any good references (hopefully ones that the U of MN has
>in its keeping) for pictures or photographs of medieval pot querns?

Ok- I'm sorry- I lived in Eugene too long. But I saw this and immediately
thought "A _pot_ quern? Why grind it- whole leaf is better, isn't it?" :-D)

Eugene is an interesting place- I was at Rotrude's graduation Saturday and,
well, there was two terrible student speeches, one really good one, a
really good jazz quartet, a rather lame interpretive dance, a terrible
poetry reading by a couple of kids who think they are this generation's
Langston Hughes, and 413 grads, one by one, starting at the back. My little
darling was at about 405. In the front row, sitting primly becasue she
knows how to sit when yards of fabric billow around you. There we are in
Hult Center- the opera house- and most of teh kids are wearing shorts and
birkenstocks under their robes, and honor tassels with the dreadlocks
drooping over them. And there was patchouli oil in the hall... there were
ordinary people too, like me, and Kim's family and Angela's family- parents
and step-parents and siblings and Grandmas. The lobby afterwards was packed
with these incredible young persons who we are inflicting on the world (or
is it the other way around?) and family members and flowers and kids
yelling over the stair railings... all I could do was hold my baby and cry.
I'm not ready for this. I still remember the little girl sitting in a
cardboard box with her baby brother, in their underwear because it was hot,
eating popsicles and listening to a Wee Sing and Play tape for the
umpteenth time... and now she's working food service and trying to scare up
more money for next years' tuition and buy new shoes before she leaves.
She's a remarkable, poised young lady, and I am thrilled she has turned out
so well. And shocked, frankly. Given what you read, and what we've been
through, she should be an axe murderer. And she's not. She's the sort of
person I would want for a friend even if she weren't my daughter.

*sigh*

A pot quern. Gotta suggest that to one of the potters at Saturday Market.
They'll like that... ;-)

'Lainie