[Sca-cooks] Food Allergies

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 20:08:40 PDT 2002

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I'm foggy tonight.  I typed in allergen where I
> should have said histamine.
>
> I do find it humorous that you are characterizing a
> blistering agent like
> capsaicin as a "harmless chemical compound."  While
> it shouldn't cause a
> histamine reaction, it's not exactly neutral to the
> human body.  I sometimes
> think humans only toss back the peppers because of
> the endorphin produced.
> Oh, that hurts so good.

Well, Bear, "harmless" is a relative thing. For
reasonably healthy people eating reasonable quantities
of capsicum, or any other compound, harmless in this
sense means "not harmful". Sugar, salt, and alcohol
are, in this sense, harmless also- but too much of any
of them can and has killed people. The thing to
remember is that different people have different
thresholds, and to know yours and deal with them.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,