[Sca-cooks] Food Allergies

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 12 05:19:04 PDT 2002

My point is that capsaicin isn't harmless, it's just not lethal.  In almost
any quantity, it will cause chemical burns (usually very mild first degree
burns for ingested peppers).  Normally, you avoid something that hurts you,
but eating peppers produces some interesting and not completely understood
physical reactions including the release of endorphins.  The endorphins
provide a natural opiate effect.  Thus you get a trade off, mild euphoria
for slight chemical burns.

Bear