[Sca-cooks] possets

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Sat Jun 15 16:35:01 PDT 2002

Selene wrote:

> A period solution would be to use Lenten recipes, usually based on almond
> milk.

Yes, I saw something about that in the florilegium.  Will have to look
it up.

> On the wine side, I'd bet that a light or sweet type white would work just
> fine
> in many of those hot wine receipts.  How about sherry?

They would be fine.  I will definitely look into them.  (I am sensitive
to dairy and too much of it makes me feel nauseous, and my close friend
and co-conspirator in this has problems with red wine (it can bring on
migraines) so that's why we're looking for non-dairy, non-red-wine
possets and caudles.)

> Irish coffee with Cool Whip maybe?  Enough of the Dew that is True and nobody
> will notice.

As I posted in answer to Johnna, I'm afraid that whiskey (and coffee,
though to a lesser extent) pushes my "out of period" buttons and I wouldn't be
comfortable doing them at an event.  But it certainly does sound tasty :)

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/