[Sca-cooks] possets

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 16 01:40:15 PDT 2002

Katherine commented:
> Phlip wrote:
>> Was just mentioning this to Margali, and she suggested
>> Hippocras- she said that the recipes we have don't
>> specify which wine.
>>
>> My thought was to suggest your preferred wine, heated,
>> with poudre douce in it, to taste, lacking a specific
>> recipe. Period method would be to heat the wine with a
>> hot poker dipped into the cup. Just a slight warning,
>> however- heated wines tend to hit your system a little
>> faster, so you'll get tiddly a bit quicker ;-)
>
> Yes, hippocras made with white wine had occurred to me already.  Mmmm,
> yum.  Tiddly quicker is not really a problem for us, I think.

I wasn't sure if hippocras was drunk warm, so I didn't mention this
file earlier. There are some period recipes and modern redactions
in this file:

spiced-wine-msg   (21K)  7/ 5/01    Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/spiced-wine-msg.html

This file might also be of interest:
Clarea-d-Agua-art (12K)  1/ 7/01    "Period drinks - Spiced Wines and Sweet
                                        Waters" by Vicente Coenca.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/Clarea-d-Agua-art.html

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net