[Sca-cooks] fish consumption

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Jun 17 15:57:10 PDT 2002

Ides from Belgium asked:

>>>I am working as an archaeozoologist in Belgium. I had to study sieved
samples with faunal material from Medieval and Post-Medieval sites from
Namur (Belgium). This material consists mainly of freshwater fish and a
low proportion of marine fish. Some of the fresh water fish that I
identified aren't very popular nowadays.

<snip>

I am very much interested how these species were eaten: fried, in a
soup,... Is there anyone who has some information about it or knows some
old medieval fishrecipees?<<<

Thank you for the interesting information. I don't have much information
on period (prior to 1600 CE) Belgium food.

Unfortunately, this means if you are looking for cooking information
specific to Belgium, I probably can't help you much. If however, you
are looking for more general information about fish dishes around
medieval Europe, you might take a look at these files in my
Florilegium. These are in the FOOD-MEATS section:
eels-msg          (26K)  1/ 9/01    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/eels-msg.html
fish-msg         (109K)  5/26/00    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/fish-msg.html
fish-pies-msg     (11K)  5/ 3/01    Period fish pies. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/fish-pies-msg.html
stockfish-msg     (96K)  9/10/01    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stockfish-msg.html

The top of the Florilegium is at: http://www.florilegium.org

Some of the cookbooks and other referances given in the FOOD-BOOKS
section might also be of use to you in this investigation.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net