[Sca-cooks] fish consumption

Ides Boone iboone at africamuseum.be
Tue Jun 18 07:14:15 PDT 2002

Hello Terry,

Most of the faunal material comes from latrines (cess-pits). We
systematically sieved with meshes of 4 mm, 2 mm and 1 mm. Also sometimes
fish bones were recovered in the hand collected material. Namur (Belgium
) is situated on the confluence of the rivers Meuse and Sambre, and thus
freshwater fish is easily available. If we compare the proportion of
fish with that of non-fish (mammals and birds, we see that they ate
quite a lot of fish. This was mostly because of the food rules, I think.
Many days were days of abstinence (wednesday,friday, 40 days, etc.) were
days were no one was allowed to ate meat.

I am working on an article about social differentiation? i. e. how can
animal bones tell us something of the social status of the people that
deposited these bones, so I am also very much interested in relative
prices of the fish. I can imagine pike, sturgeon etc. was very expensive
but what about the other ones.

Best wishes, Ides