[Sca-cooks] Stupid N00b question about Apecius

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 18 10:38:50 PDT 2002

Also sprach Michael Gunter:
>I'm terribly embarassed to ask this but I have forgotten
>which is the "good" version of Apecius and which is the "bad"?
>A bookseller was offering a book of Vehlig but I think that's
>the one with all of the errors. I think Flowers & Rosembaum
>are the scholars who translated exactly.
>
>Totally correct or totally wrong?
>I haven't had my coffee yet this morning and have had to
>deal with many dumb computer problems. The brain, like the
>head, is fuzzy.
>
>Gunthar

The Barbara Flower and Elisabeth Rosenbaum translation was considered
the best when the competition consisted of John Edwards and Vehling.
Isn't there now a Mary Ella Milham version, in addition to the work
done by Sally Grainger, Mark Grant, etc.? The more recent versions
are probably conceived with some awareness of the flaws of earlier
versions.

Adamantius