[Sca-cooks] Stupid N00b question about Apecius

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jun 18 11:58:13 PDT 2002

I could just tell that you guys were waiting for me to
answer this---

I posted this earlier this spring--
The scholar who has done the most work with Apicius in this regard is
Professor Mary Ella Milham. (yes, the woman who also is responsible for
the new editions of Platina). She is the author of several papers on the
subject and the text Apicii decem libri qvi dicvntvr "De re coqvinaria"
et excerpta a Vinidario conscripta Leipzig : Teubner,1969
XVI, 116 S. p.Latin. Series: Bibliotheca scriptorvm Graecorvm et
Romanorvm Tevbneriana or Bibliotheca scriptorum Graecorum et Romanorum
Teubneriana. I don't suppose that's the one they are offering.

 Prospect Books in England is doing the
 Grainger &  Grocock, APICIUS, ISBN 1-903018-13-7.
Tom Jaine thinks that "Probably 2003/4 is realistic."
for that one to be published.

The Vehling most often found now is the Dover paperback. There's
nothing special about it. Now if they are offering the limited first
edition from the 1930's for cheap .... grab it and run.
Flower and Rosenbaum's edition is the standard one and very good.

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis