[Sca-cooks] OOP Query

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jun 18 19:04:55 PDT 2002

At 09:37 PM 6/18/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Also sprach Harris Mark.S-rsve60:
>>Okay. In short it sounds like it is the 70s equivalent of that
>>dispicable and crude Simpson's cartoon which I think is still
>>showing.
>
>People keep referring to it as '70's. FWIW, I STR it debuted in 1967...
>
>However, The Simpsons, while ugly and not often a banner for the best
>of human nature, has _infinitely_ more subtlety and redeeming value
>than Scooby Doo, whose true repellence only emerges the more when you
>pay close attention.
>
>Adamantius

I think I have to mostly agree with Adamantius here- there really is no
parallel between Matt Groening's work and the pap put out by the Hanna
Barbera staff. As much as I think the Simpsons are a waste of 22 minutes
and three commercial breaks, they are at least written with something that
passes for wit and humor, and an adult can watch for a few minutes without
wanting to stuff their head into a can of Pringles and light it on fire.
Scooby, on the other hand, is a cheap, badly drawn late 60's cartoon
version of rejected Nancy Drew plots, with a big dog to disguise teh lack
of writing skill. At least Nancy usually had two brain cells to rub
together. And Master A, I don't remember seeing it until about 1970. Is
this just because you have a couple of years on me? ;-)

Gotta admit though, Scooby's music was kinda fun.

'Lainie
-who would rather watch Snagglepuss or Touche Turtle than Scooby Doo. If
given a choice though, I worship at the Warner Brothers Shrine of True Wit
and Culture.