[Sca-cooks] OOP Query

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 18 20:03:08 PDT 2002

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>I think I have to mostly agree with Adamantius here- there really is no
>parallel between Matt Groening's work and the pap put out by the Hanna
>Barbera staff.

I think there will be special circle reserved for William Hanna and
Joseph Barbera in Animator's Hell, and I don't even care that it's
been alleged that I resemble one of their characters. That show was
much better when it was "The Honeymooners"... ;-)

One of the truly frightening things about Scooby Doo was the fact
that it was considered worthy of imitation by rival cartoons...

>  As much as I think the Simpsons are a waste of 22 minutes
>and three commercial breaks,

Ah, come on, how can you not love the Jerky Boy homage at Moe's
Tavern??? ("Hello, can I talk to Al please? Last name, Kaholik?"
"Hey, I got a call here for an Al Kaholik! Is there an Al Kaholik
here???" "I'm lookin' fer Amanda Huggenkiss!") My favorite was when
they succeeded (it was never explained exactly _how_ they
accomplished this) in getting Moe to yell out, "I'm a stupid moron
with an ugly face and a big butt, and my butt smells, and I like to
kiss my own butt!" It really brings back the good old days of the
late bartender Red Deutsch at the Tube Bar in Joisey City... the real
person Moe the bartender is clearly based upon.

>  they are at least written with something that
>passes for wit and humor, and an adult can watch for a few minutes without
>wanting to stuff their head into a can of Pringles and light it on fire.
>Scooby, on the other hand, is a cheap, badly drawn late 60's cartoon
>version of rejected Nancy Drew plots, with a big dog to disguise teh lack
>of writing skill. At least Nancy usually had two brain cells to rub
>together. And Master A, I don't remember seeing it until about 1970. Is
>this just because you have a couple of years on me? ;-)

No, actually it's that The IMDB sez it premiered in 1969, and I must
be acquiring a bad case of Bushlexia or something. I thought it was
'67. I'm usually pretty good at this kind of detail.

>Gotta admit though, Scooby's music was kinda fun.
>
>'Lainie
>-who would rather watch Snagglepuss or Touche Turtle than Scooby Doo. If
>given a choice though, I worship at the Warner Brothers Shrine of True Wit
>and Culture.

If I can't get WB, I'll accept Heckle and Jekyll as a pretty good
substitute, or the early Tom and Jerry. But then, I always wanted a
spin-off, half-hour series devoted entirely to Itchy and Scratchy,
too... [Itchy and Scratchy is the psychopathically violent
cat-and-mouse cartoon the Simpson kids are frequently seen watching;
kind of their version of Terence and Philip, which serves the same
function on "South Park"...]

Or any of the Jay Ward type stuff, especially Hoppity Hooper and His
Long-Lost Uncle Waldo, who is of an entirely different genus, order
and family from his "nephew", Hoppity... If it has Hans Conreid doing
voices, it is quality.

Adamantius