[Sca-cooks] Vidalia nionions...

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Jun 18 19:59:55 PDT 2002

At 10:43 PM 6/18/2002, you wrote:
>In the mean time, the traditional method for summertime vidalia consumption
>is to bake (either in an oven or on a grill) a foil-wrapped onion that has
>been peeled and sliced almost all the way through into quarters.

Sounds good, I'll have to try it :-)

>They are sweet, so take that into account when making soup or other recipes
>calling for onions.

Yeah, really! :-)  My grand father used to eat one raw onion a day, pretty
much every day that I remember seeing him around.  he'd peel it then munch
on it like an apple.  Last couple years of his life, he found the vidalia
onion and swore by them :-)

>And, if you have bunches of them, a good way to store them is to take old
>hosiery and put an onion down into the toe, tie a knot, add another onion,
>another knot, ect., until you have a string of onions that can be hung in a
>cool, dark place.

Yeah, used to do that with the onions my father grew on the farm.  Of
course, I'm not through as many hoses as one might, given I'm a guy (or
last time I checked...)

>Next, we'll have you eating boiled peanuts!

I'm open for any and all culinary experience as long as it doesn't involve
crustaceans.  As they used to say in Africa:  we eat anything that moves,
except missionaries (or was that *even* missionaries???)

I'm even waiting for someone to prepare grits for me.

'Cheers

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies