Herbs was [Sca-cooks] Congratulations!

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Jun 19 06:02:46 PDT 2002

Maire wrote:
> I hadn't thought of dream pillows (good idea, although I don't know if
> the catnip and I can outwit the cats <g>), but was figuring on passing
> on the tisanes, largely, because herb teas are so easy to come by,
> mundanely.  Also, I want to be able to use what I'm growing (LOTS of
> thyme, rosemary, sage, lavender, some different mints, french taragon,
> enough oregano to sink Italy.....).  And I thought it might be fun to do
> fresh, pesticide-free blends like the ubiquitous Italian herb blends, or
> perhaps bouquet garni or herbs de provence, but more period?

I'm afraid it might not match what you're growing too closely, but
something to consider another year might be insect-repellant herb
blends, especially if you're giving them to SCA people.  Lavender is
about the only one you have listed there, I think, but others include
tansy, pennyroyal, wormwood, yarrow... any good herbal will tell you
what turns away what kind of bugs.  You could make sachets for keeping
with clothes, or for putting in a pomander, or whatever.

When I get a garden (next year! taking possession of my house in the
fall of this year) I will be planting a heap of these, and gathering
them to strew in my pavilion for camping events.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/