[Sca-cooks] OOP Query

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 19 06:33:32 PDT 2002

Also sprach Bronwynmgn at aol.com:
>by the villain.  Except in some of the newer Scooby-Doo movies, in which
>there really are supernatural events - Zombie Island actually being the best
>of those, and rather creepy, too).

My son assures me of this, too, but the thought of sitting in front
of Scooby Doo for half an hour, let alone ninety minutes or so, makes
me break out in hives.

Offhand, I think the two creepiest pieces of children's animation
I've ever seen were both done by Paul Dini, et al, for WB, one in
which Superman enlists the retired sorcerer Dr. Fate to combat
Karkul, who is _right_ out of Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos (probably
the only time this has ever been done correctly outside of the
written page), and a Batman Beyond feature involving the death of The
Joker and the unpleasant fate of Tim Drake, the third and final
Robin. This last was probably a pretty irresponsible production
(focusing on the surgical alteration of a child to resemble the
disfigured Joker), but I suppose this is slightly mitigated by, as
far as I know, never airing on television, but being released
straight to video with all kinds of warning labels. I just know my
kid had nightmares for a week or so... it was actually  sort of
Serling-esque.

Adamantius