OT Re: [Sca-cooks] violence/protecting kids in bubbles...soapalert :)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 19 10:33:23 PDT 2002

> One of my more treasured experiences was winning the undying loyalty
> of the female superintendent of the apartment building we live in,
> and which my wife had lived in for years before that. Before this, it
> seems the super didn't think much of me for some reason. We had a bed
> delivered, and there was a particular procedure for having furniture
> delivered, and when the guy showed up with our bed, I arrived to find
> that the super apparently attempted to forcibly prevent the guy from
> bringing this bed in through the building lobby (which is very much
> against the rules). Bearing in mind that tempers were high on both
> sides, and that everyone involved was of a large and vigorous nature,
> the last thing the other two expected was for me to say, "You look
> hot. Uncomfortable. I bet getting that bed off the truck and this far
> has been a real bitch. That's too bad, because you're going to have
> to do it all over again if I refuse to sign your little slip of
> paper, which is what I'm going to do if you don't wheel it all around
> to the back door..."
>
> The super looked at me as if I had just carved a Z on the guy's cheek.
>
> Some people literally have no concept of using words to solve your problems...

Tell me Master A, does the name "Miles Vorkosigan" mean anything to you?

> One of the most brilliant pieces of television I've seen in years was
> the episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer in which Buffy's mother dies.
> We all waited, in some cases for hours, days, and weeks, to find out
> exactly _how_ it would turn out that she wasn't really dead, or had
> been murdered, naturally or supernaturally, that her death was not
> from more or less natural causes, or that she might be revived in
> some way. Nope. She was simply dead, and everybody had to deal with
> it, go to the funeral, and deal with it. There was no villain to
> fight, no one upon whom to avenge her death, and no way to redeem her
> life, except to keep on keeping on. It was an amazing kick in the
> teeth for a series whose focus had always been fantasy. I forget
> which author wrote, "There is nothing so insignificant as a dead man."

And they've done it again, with Tara's death of non-magical causes.  It almost made
the second death, while tragic, less significant somehow in that they did the same
thing twice.  These kids should stick to the magical world, reality is so much more
dangerous!

ObFood:  Willow cooking furiously last season, to keep her occupied instead of
partaking of her magic addiction.  I know the feeling, I've done other stuff
furiously to keep me out of the $%^&* kitchen...

Selene, Caid