OT Re: [Sca-cooks] violence/protecting kids in bubbles...soap ale rt :)

Wed Jun 19 12:57:23 PDT 2002

One of the more interesting aspects of BTVS is that despite the pure fantasy
plots, the characterization is very real and the characters have developed
and grown.  They have vulnerabilities, blind spots and insights, much as all
of us do.  I think that the characterization is a large part of the show's
popularity.

The death of Buffy's mother is a counterpoint to mark the change between the
"child" Buffy and the "adult" Buffy.  Whedon appears to be using this change
to fully define what a Slayer is.

Tara's death was necessary to give Willow a reason to go ballistic.  The
resolution puts Willow and Xander back together and splits Xander and Anya
further.  Considering, Anya's solicitious behavior when helping Giles in the
season finale, I expect to see her leaving BTVS for The Watcher spin-off,
which is being prepared for the BBC.

Once BTVS has run its course, I wonder if Whedon will try to bring Fray to
screen?

Bear