[Sca-cooks] substitute to salt

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 19 23:45:19 PDT 2002

 Christianna said:
> Powdered kelp is used as a salt substitute for those with high blood
> pressure concerns.

How does this help? The salt in the kelp is still salt.Mostly sodium
chloride, like sea salt and like mined salt.

> I don't have any period docs on this, but there are
> certainly ethnic coastal recipes that use sea weeds for various soups and
> other uses.  For that matter, using sea vegetables such as dulse (smoky,
> salty taste, can be fried and used in a "DLT" sandwich),

Yes, I just recently bought Nanna's book on Icelandic food. She mentions
both dulse and the lichen. The dulse was particularly useful since
Iceland had a scarcity of salt.

Nanna, are you still on this list? I had a few questions for you that

have come up in reading the first section of your book and I thought
that I'd ask them here, since I think others might be interested. But
you do need to be here for that to work. :-)

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net