[Sca-cooks] Fair Trade Coffee educating people

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 20 06:25:28 PDT 2002

A small family owned chain of grocery stores from the Binghamton, NY area,
Giant Markets (not related to the Giant Eagles in PA -- I don't think--but
it wouldn't surprise me)  Did a neat thing with the Fair Trade Coffee and
Habitat for Humanity. They are allowing the Habitat for Humanity to sell
bags of the Fair Trade Coffee where the money collected (not sure of the
ratio) will go to the local Habitat for Humanity.  I think it is something
like $8 a bag, I kept wanted to go over and buy a bag but never got there,
not sure how long the program was going to last.

I think this may be a good way to educate people about two worthy causes,
the Habitat for Humanity and also Fair Trade Coffee and why it's
...(ugh...) a good thing.  (sorry about the M. Stewart  quote).

If you are willing to pay $8 a bag for starbucks coffee why wouldn't you be
willing to pay around $8 for a bag where the workers are being treated fairly?

I have to admit though, I wasn't thinking anything about being fair to
people when I paid $1.99 for a 34.5 ounce can of Chase and Sanborn coffee
at Save-A-Lot last night.

	Angeline