[Sca-cooks] BASIL OIL

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 20 13:33:00 PDT 2002

Also sprach Seton1355 at aol.com:
>--
>I have lots of basil coming up in my herb garden.  I would really like to
>make basil oil for later consumption.
>Here's my question:
>  My idea is to take a canning jar, fill it 2/3 with oil and then start
>putting cut basil into it the oil filled jar.  I would cut the basil with
>sissors.  And I would keep adding basil until the oil jar was mostly basil; a
>la pesto.
>
>I don't normally refridgerate my oil. Will I have to now that it has basil in
>it or does the basil act as a preservative?
>Thanks a lot !
>Phillipa

FWIW; I realize this doesn't really answer your specific questions,
but... it's been a long day following a long day, and thought
processes are weird.

The best basil oil method I've encountered involves the leaves from
approximately two commercial bunches (more or less a double handgrasp
about the size of your head, not too compressed), _very_ quickly
blanched in salted, boiling water, then immediately quenched in ice
water, drained gently, patted dry on paper towels, then whizzed up in
a blender with about a quart of EV olive oil. Strain through a
cheese-cloth-lined strainer, and you get a beautiful emerald-green,
fragrant and flavorful oil. It may be a little cloudy at first, and
it may drop some sediment for a while.

You can refrigerate it, and it does improve its shelf life, but olive
oil will also semi-solidify in the fridge...

On the other hand, basil oil unrefrigerated can actually get moldy, too.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER