[Sca-cooks] BASIL OIL

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Jun 20 15:33:53 PDT 2002

>You can refrigerate it, and it does improve its shelf life, but olive
>oil will also semi-solidify in the fridge...
>
>On the other hand, basil oil unrefrigerated can actually get moldy, too.

A word of CAUTION on all this thread.  Botulism loves anaerobic
environment.  If you do not blanch your basil (or garlic, for that matter),
you increase the risk of botulism significantly.

I have taken to only do as much oil as I can consume in a short time.  The
set up to properly prepare garlic and/or basil and/or other herbed oils and
keep it a long time is a little more than I want to deal with.

I would not keep the oil outside in any case, refrigirate it, please.

Now, I'm not one to get overly caution, I eat raw eggs without a problem,
and I also eat "blue" hamburger, and fillet mignong, in the right
circumstances.  But botulism scares the heck outta me...

Just be careful.

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies