[Sca-cooks] Syrose ideas /dried fruit question

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Thu Jun 20 15:13:31 PDT 2002

> From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen"
> > In another exciting chapter of The Twelfth Night From Hell, now I have a
question as to the use or lack of dried cherries in the British Isles around
the 13th c.

> > Basically, can I justify serving syrosye made with dried cherries, or
should I just suck up and serve peeres in confit? Any documentation pointing
one way or t'other?

    When I've made it,  I used both a sweet canned cherry and then some
dried sour ones  -- more intense flavor.  The fruit is all being "whizzed"
into a pudding,  so cherries is cherries.  Go for what gives you the best
flavor for the least expense.

    As far as "the use of dried cherries in the British Isles around the
13th c"  I dunno.  my guess is wasn't any, that  Syrose would have been made
during  cherry season.  {June/ July -ish}

    Just my ideas
    Caointiarn