[Sca-cooks] Blowing up Fermenters (Was: Entertaining stories for Lainie)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jun 20 20:18:07 PDT 2002

At 09:52 PM 6/20/02 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/20/2002 9:30:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>craig.jones at airservices.gov.au writes:
>
>> Drakey blows up plastic fermenter in bathroom
>
> Did something similar there... in the kitchen. I was trying to carbonate
>some hard cider in a two liter coke bottle. I figured it could handle the
>pressure....

Hoo-boy! I know that one!

Was making the Small Mead (Digby's recipe from the Miscellany) and I had
found that one batch fit perfectly in two 1.5 liter bottles (Calistoga
mineral water comes in them). That particular time, someone had recycled
teh bottles or something and they weren't on hand, so I grabbed two plastic
cranberry juice bottles, thinking 'they're the same plastic- they'll work'.
The bottle was, but the lids weren't! A couple weeks later, I heard a loud
*BANG!* int eh kitchen. Sounded like a shotgun blast. I stuck my head
around teh corner, and saw nothing. Turned to go, and heard it again. Yup,
under the sink were two bottles, intact, mead everywhere, and teeny shards
of shattered lids all over, one stuck into the back of teh door. It was
while I was cleaning up that I found what really happened- the main blast
went up, right? Stainless steel sink, heavy heavy metal under. There was a
dent in the underside on teh sink so deep that it had raised a bump in teh
bowl of teh sink. try as I might, I could not press it down. I did not
point it out when I checked out when I moved. I don't think they would have
believed me anyway...

Never never never leave teh bottles in da open. Ya shure. I know!

'Lainie