[Sca-cooks] Entertaining stories for Lainie

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 24 05:56:23 PDT 2002

I guess some of the best from here have to do with a young man who was
convinced that he knew everything there is to know about cooking, including
period cooking.

The funniest probably is connected with a feast he co-cooked with another
fellow in the group.  He decided he wanted to make Scotch Broth.  His
inability to take advice was brought home by the bones he purchased to make
the broth.  He asked me what he should use.  I told him either beef or
mutton soup bones...knowing that the only ones he could probably get were
the former.  He showed up with pork bones...and couldn't understand why we
told him that he could use them but it wouldn't be Scotch Broth.  The recipe
he used was from a Scottish cookbook that I had purchased in Aberdeen,
Scotland, done by a rural women's group...so a lot of the recipes read like
the period ones we use.  This one said in the final line, "...add a cup of
barley, salt and pepper..."   This fellow thought it meant a cup of each!
The kitchen crew spent a lot of time washing off veggies and redoing the
soup.

At a later time, he made a batch of cordial.  Now, despite our telling him
that he should use a less expensive variety of vodka or grain and spend more
on getting the best fruit, he insisted on purchasing very expensive vodka
and cheap fruit.  He gifted us with a bottle of his concoction, which we
left in the kitchen.  We're sitting there, minding our own business, when we
hear an explosion in the kitchen.  That bottle of cordial (supposedly a
still liquor....) had exploded, leaving the snap-on cap and top intact.  We
had red stickey stuff all over the kitchen.  I'm just thankful we weren't in
there when it went...given the force of the explosion, it could have injured
us!!

Kiri