[Sca-cooks] (OT) Space Food Sticks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jun 24 23:38:19 PDT 2002

At 10:50 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Then again, I've been known to get and scarf down an entire box of Count
>Chocula as a comfort food.

Oh.My.Gawd...
Step right up, folks, and meet the man who ended our dependence on foreign
oil! Yesseree, the man on the treadmill is powered only by Count Chocula
and Diet Coke. Yes, just six boxes a day and he just keeps going, and
going, and going...

(I liked the Frankenberry too but it is harder to find.)

>> Sooo Padraig, are you saying that you are reminiscing about them first
>> hand, or are you one of those annoying 20-somethings having nostalgia about
>> a time when they weren't even born? (These are the same kids wearing
>> 'retro' clothes that I remember- they were ugly then, ugly still!)
>
>    Well, 1966 model, fading paint and primer showing on the roof, some
>emission work, handles well, mulitiple uses.   Multiple leasees but no
>previous owners.    (In other words, I'm one of those annoying 30 somethings
>that barely remembers some of this stuff.  <grin!>)

You're an ad exec, right? ;-D)

I actually remember most of this stuff. Like some truly atrocious dessert
mixes. The layered jello parfait stuff that layered itself. Real Fresca.
TAB. Walter Cronkite. Hats and things made of crochet and cut-up beer cans
or plastic tubs. Ironed hair, knee socks, short skirts. Evel Kneviel. Those
snap-on straw-like things that you put on your spokes- they went
clickety-clickety as you rode. Mad magazine. Percolated coffee, hearing it
go blorp-blorp-blorp in the morning. Laugh-in. Quisp and Quake. The jars of
peanut butter and jelly, in stripes. All salad was iceberg lettuce,
dressing was 1000 Island, bleu cheese, French, or Italian. Bread was brown
or white. Tylenol was Rx only. My mom took Empirin for headaches. TP was
colored and had little flowers on it. Juice came in orange and apple. Prune
for geezers. Pizza was exotic. Pee-Chees that had the same pictures on them
that our parents scribbled on when they were in school. (The tennis-player
on the front always got it first.) Cragmont pop in all sorts of flavors.
The glue that passed for oatmeal in camp. Grilled cheese sandwich made with
sliced American (don't forget to take off the plastic!) on Wonder bread,
served with a mug of Campbell's Tomato...

Enough. I feel old. (grump grump grump)

'Lainie