[Sca-cooks] Oven-frying Rysshews of Fruyt - questions

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 25 09:00:18 PDT 2002

'Twas me.  Yes, we did turn them over, and they seemed to hold together,
provided we had used egg whites in the mixture as a binder.  If you drain
them on paper towels as you would deep-fried items, they shouldn't be any
oilier than anything else.  I believe we used veggie oil.  It would have
been more period had we used lard, but I wanted to avoid the meat content
for our vegetarian friends.  And olive oil would have added a flavor I
didn't want.

Here's my redaction (I'm assuming you already have the original):

Redaction:  serves 33 (1 each)

 10 Figs

1 tsp. Ginger

1 Cup  Raisins

1 tsp. Sugar      .

1/2 C. White wine

1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

2 Apples  (1 Granny Smith, 1 Red Delicious)

1/2 tsp. Cloves

1 Pear

1/2 tsp. Sanders

1 egg white

1.  Soak the dried fruit in white wine

2. Peel and seed fruit.  Coarsley grind them with the figs and raisins.

3. Add to fruit mixture, add the spices and egg white and mix thoroughly.

4.  Form mixture into balls and deep fry them.

 Notes:

 1.  I have used a semi-dry white wine as it seemed more appropriate for
fruit in this case than red.

2.  The recipe calls for ".gode powdours and whole spices."  I looked at
recipes which utilized similar fruit and arrived at the spices I have
chosen.  I have added sanders as it gives the mixture a nice reddish brown
color, which will look attractive with the other items being served with it.
Also, another dish, rapes, which is made up of similar fruit, uses sanders
for color.

3.  I added egg white as a binder to hold the balls together as they are
cooked.  It is colorless and tasteless, so would have no effect on the
taste, appearance or texture of the rissoles.

4.  Rather than deep frying, I oven-fried them in the interest of expediency
and reducing the amount of grease that we were serving.

Hope this helps!

Kiri