[Sca-cooks] Wine names

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jun 25 09:13:23 PDT 2002

At 07:28 AM 6/25/02 -0400, you wrote:

>Yeah, I'll go with the theory that Americans are somewhat more
>ignorant of languages other than their own, but attributing this to
>anything other than simple necessity (or lack thereof) is probably a
>mistake.

How many Americans actually ever *need* to learn another language? Setting
my feelings about a broad liberal-arts education being good for the soul,
etc., in thinking about it- there are so many Americans who never leave
their hometown, immediate area, or state, much less leave the country. Jay
Random, wheat farmer, has better things to do with his time, and his
cousin, dairy farmer John Doe, would tell you that his cows don't speak
French, why should he?

It may come to meet them however- you'd be surprised at how many job
postings here in Oregon are asking for bi-linguals (English/Spanish).

But beyond that, asking for a substantial time and energy investment in
something that many will have no opportunity to use... like demanding
everyone train and obtain a pilots license, because someday, sometime, you
might be on a plane and something might happen to the pilot...

Right.

just being cantankerous this morning,
'Lainie