[Sca-cooks] Oven-frying Rysshews of Fruyt - questions

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 25 10:33:27 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- >
> You used about the same amount of raisin and fig that I did, but an awful
lot
> more apple and pear - I only used one half an apple and one half of a
pear.
> I felt that it would get pastier and stick together better with more dried
> fruit.  But I bet yours tasted more apple and pear than mine did!

Yes, it did.  However, that may, of course, be why mine wouldn't stick
together.

> This is the part I really need more detailed info on.  I assume you coated
> the pan with oil and dropped the fruit balls on, then placed it into a
> pre-heated oven.  What temperature, and what kind of cooking time on each
> side?  They go so fast when deep frying...

No.  What we did was to put about a quarter inch of oil on a tray with a lip
all around it (a jelly-roll tray, I think they're called).  Then, we slid
them into the oven to get the oil heated...about 5 minutes or so.  Then we
pull them out, and place the formed balls on the oil and put them back into
the oven as quickly as possible.  I don't remember the exact amount of
time...check them in 5 minutes and see how they look.  Then turn them over,
slide them back in and brown the other side.

This technique is how Phillip (my sweetie) does his potato pancakes...shreds
the potato and onion, adds salt, pepper and egg, then oven fries them.  When
I started doing things like these fruit balls, it occurred to me that this
might be a good way to do large quantities of them.

Hope this helps!

Kiri