[Sca-cooks] (OT) Space Food Sticks

Jim Fox-Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 25 11:18:07 PDT 2002

Mind you, all this discussion may have started with space food sticks,
but I find myself thinking about other memory-foods.  Tuna fish
sandwiches made -just so-, with hard-boiled egg and celery in the salad
for more texture and a little crunch, and sweet pickle relish if we had
it, on squishy-fresh white bread with mayonnaise. Leftover Thanksgiving
turkey in pieces on leftover dinner rolls with butter, and sometimes a
little cranberry sauce (my sister Patty's innovation).  Cornbread
crumbled into milk -- my Dad's favorite.  Or fried-egg sandwiches as a
snack after dinner because Dad was hungry, therefore everyone should
eat.  Six (no more, no less) Oreo cookies with milk before bedtime.
 German Chocolate cake, made from scratch (my grandmother's recipe).
 Cucumbers and cream salad -- the one decent thing my stepmother made --
well, okay, her various Polish pastries were pretty good, and she made a
damn good banana pudding.  Fried chicken before everyone discovered
Shake n' Bake.

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

[snip]

>Grilled cheese sandwich made with
>sliced American (don't forget to take off the plastic!) on Wonder bread,
>served with a mug of Campbell's Tomato...
>

>Still available, Jared's top comfort food.  Better still, pimento cheese!

Oh, yeah!  Hmm...I haven't had any pimento cheese in awhile....

>Sneaking downstairs to watch TV, getting scared then fascinated by Star Trek in
>first run

I was lucky; I had my own TV in my room by then, but black-and-white only.

>Staying up late to watch the first moon landing, toasting with milk in my Woody
>Woodpecker cup [which still holds a place of honor in the good china cabinet]
>
>A warm lunch of canned ravioli was a treat on a cold day.

[snip]

>Selene, living in the past, Caid
>
>Selene, 59 model with cushy upholstery, fading paint job but still a classic!

Jared, 54 model which could use an alignment, and the hairs nearing
primer gray....but I LOVE my '59!