[Sca-cooks] OT: Pennsic Mobility Assistance Transport?

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 25 22:25:10 PDT 2002

Rosine commented:
>    I'm sorry that you were dropped out of the loop - I have a feeling that
> your information came from someone who was mis-informed. There was, as I
> said, a lot of confusion during the days when the office was relocated and
> the reins turned over to a new department head. Some staff members were
> under the impression that the program was discontinued (and were doing their
> best to pick up the slack) and others knew it was continuing but didn't know
> where or how. Things will be much clearer this time  - every year is a
> learning experience.

Rosine, I know you are not in charge of this effort, but I have no
idea who to talk to. Please feel free to forward this to anyone
who might be interested.

Part of the trouble that the program has had, has been in getting
accurate info out to those who can use it. Or even the
information that such a program exists. This is often the case
with new programs. Often even when the program is mentioned in
the official event guidebook it is often missed. Also some folks
who might have attended an event with such a service and don't
would miss this. So, I think a multitude of mentions in various
places would help.

If someone connected with the program will write me an article or

even a message explaining the program, how it is set up, who is
qualified to use this program and who isn't, how people who need
rides can get the request to the right people, etc, I will place this
in the PENNSIC section of the Florilegium.

It is not only the folks who need this service who might see this,

but their friends who might then communicate the information to
them.

Part of the problem is getting the request for a pickup, up to

the central site. Liadan and I were waiting for the hay wagon
(now there is something for the gambling types) and flagged
down a cart to see if they had seen the wagon. It was one of
the mobility assistance carts and they were nice enough to
pick us up and take us to the top of the hill, after calling
in to make sure it wasn't a conflict with a scheduled pickup.

I think an information article or a how-to article might also

be useful to other events that might be considering starting
such a service.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net