[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP: Looking for a power source

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Jun 27 08:22:44 PDT 2002

>    Phillip (my S.O., for those of you who don't know) has been
>    using a CPAP machine to help him sleep for the past 9 months
>    or so...and it has proved VERY beneficial, not only for him
>    but for me (he doesn't snore anymore!!!).  He would like to be
>    able to use it at Pennsic, but needs to find some kind of
>    battery pack to plug it in to as we don't have electricity in
>    our camp.  Any suggestions?  It would need to be 110V and run
>    for 8 - 10 hours before needing a recharge.  It would also be
>    helpful if it could recharge fully during the day...we would
>    ask the folks at Chirurgeon's Point to charge it for us.
>
>    If you have any ideas/thoughts, please let me know.

This problem is not that uncommon.
I have exactly the same thing myself.
The main thing you will have to consider is the pressure used...
CPAS machins with very low partial pressues like 5 mm h20 can go two nights
on one of those jumpstart battery packs with a built in 115 v plug...
My wife has a CPAP that uses such a low pressure. That is how I know.
I have a very high pressure (19 mm) and that same pack lasts me no more than
4-5 hours. It is very frustrating.

A lot of the people who have this problem use a car battery and a
powerinverter ( you can get an inverter for about 30 dollars from
Harborfreight.com ) to turn the 12 volt DC power to a household type 115v AC
plug.
The Chirurgeons point does have a power supply to charge it up (I dont know
about battery chargers but I think they have one... Send a message to the
Chirurgeon in charge of the war) and they are completely familiar with the
problem.
But you need to be considerate, as there will be a number of people doing
the same thing, and demands for that resource are high.

I plan on making a battery pack using three gel-type or agm type (no-spill)
marine batteries, an inverter and plug, and a marine-type three-level
charger with charge indicator, all built into a sturdy wooden chest with
handles.
It will cost me a lot of money about 500-600 dollars, but it should last the
both of us all War.
If I keep it properly maintained, it should work for many campouts to come.
I view it as an investment.

Brandu